Extensions enable you to quickly and easily add new functionality to an IoT solution. Extensions can be service (function/method) libraries, connector templates, functional widgets, and more.
The Eclipse Plugin for ThingWorx Extension Development (Eclipse Plugin) is designed to streamline and enhance the creation of extensions for the ThingWorx Platform. The plugin makes it easier to develop and build extensions by automatically generating source files, annotations, and methods as well as updating the metadata file to ensure the extension can be imported.
These features allow you to focus on developing functionality in your extension, rather than worrying about getting the syntax and format of annotations and the metadata file correct.
|Est. Time||60 Minutes|
|Published||Apr 27, 2021|
You'll learn how to
- Install the Eclipse Plugin and Extension SDK
- Create and configure an Extension project
- Create Services, Events and Subscriptions
- Add Composer entities
- Build and import an Extension
Things used in this guide
This guide may be completed within any environment where you have access to the ThingWorx Foundation server. This guide is based on the Extension SDK version 8.3.
This includes both the hosted evaluation server, as well as the downloadable trial. You can use either Gradle or Ant to build your ThingWorx Extension Project.
Before you start, ensure you have the following software installed.
Completed Example: You are provided a complete example that can be utilized as a reference for completion as you go through the guide or for insight into how the following steps can be completed.
NOTE: If you use Gradle as the build tool, in your Eclipse application, download the Gradle STS IDE plugin from Help->Eclipse Marketplace, then restart your workspace.
Create An Extension
- Step 1: Completed Example
- Step 2: Download Plugin and SDK
- Step 3: Install and Configure
- Step 4: Create Extension Project
- Step 5: Add Properties
- Step 6: Create Configuration Table
- Step 7: Add JAR Resources
- Step 8: Create Services
- Step 9: Create Event and Subscription
- Step 10: Add Composer Entities
- Step 11: Build Extension
- Step 12: Import Extension
- Step 13: Next Steps